Student Success Advisor
This position reports to the Director of Student Success. The Success Advisor provides direct services to students to assist in their successful transition to Thomas University and to achieve their goal of program completion. Student Success Advisor (SSA) is responsible for working with students from first semester registration through graduation by providing support, suggestions, direction and assistance in resolving issues which may prevent students from completing their education.
- Establish and maintain a relationship for a caseload of 300+ students for all Division of Education programs
- Advise students in academic and success goal-setting and achievement by scheduled and walk-in appointments via email, phone, text, virtual and in-person conversations to ensure they are on-track and potential issues are identified and resolved.
- Engage students with consistent advising methods and practices within student outreach.
- Maintain consistent contact with advisees each semester with regular check in intervals.
- Work with assigned students who are placed on provisional status, academic and or financial aid warning, suspension or probation to develop action plans. Meet regularly with those students to review progress and resolve issues.
- Use critical and creative thinking skills and exercise broad-ranging decision-making and insightful judgment in order to help students chart potential paths to reach academic and professional goals.
- Responsible for early alerts of potential academic risks with advisees each term, regular follow up, and consistent documentation in tracking system.
- Work with assigned students who take time off to encourage them to re-register for future semesters to complete their educational goals.
- Refer students to college resources such as tutoring, mentoring, workshops, Student assistance programs, disability services, veteran’s services and community resources as needed.
- As appropriate, create individualized learning strategies for students. These may include issues such as: Pre-Reading and Preparation, Reading Comprehension, Note Taking, Test-Taking Information Organization, Memory, Establishing A Study Plan, Group Learning, Remediation Plans, Teamwork and Social Skills, Stress Management, and Time Management and Prioritization.
- Responsible for reviewing, entering and maintaining appropriate student records & case notes on Salesforce platform
- Track students’ academic progression through Dropout Detective and reach out to them regarding missing assignments and failing grades. Keep in contact with their professors and coaches
- Ensure assigned students are scheduled appropriately for future semesters.
- Assist students with self-registration of courses.
- Attend student success and academic program area departmental meetings as appropriate.
- Establish and cultivate relationships with administrators, faculty, staff, and athletics to ensure accurate and timely communication and resolution of student needs, obstacles, and questions.
- Coordinate and collaborate on initiatives, events, and programs that promote student persistence, retention, and academic and career development learning.
- Participate on university committees, new student orientation, academic and career services events, recruitment, student life and engagement initiatives, and graduation as assigned.
- Process Course Substitution forms and submit to Division Chairs for approval
- Provide weekly regular reports and accurate data regarding activities to the Director of Student Success.
- Sustain an accurate, up-to-date body of knowledge about curricula across the institution and the current career landscape in the relevant fields.
- Exercise impeccable discretion to implement Thomas University and program-specific policies.
- Remain up to date on promising practices in First Year Experience, student transitions, student development and emerging trends in the field.
- Display initiative regarding professional development opportunities and training.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Conferred bachelor’s degree required
- Customer service experience
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Exceptional organizational, interpersonal, customer service, written and oral communication skills
- Excellent problem-solving, critical thinking skills and the ability to balance multiple tasks simultaneously
- Strong analytical skills with attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision or reminders to complete tasks.
- Highly motivated self-starter who can be a team player and desires to share creative solutions and best practices.
- Punctual and industrious work habits
- Must be able to use a telephone, text, e-mail, and basic office equipment
- Proficient in using Microsoft Office Word and Excel
- Master’s degree preferred or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Solid knowledge or experience working in academia.
- Experience with Learning Management and Customer Relationship Management systems.
Terms of Employment
Full benefits, Letter of Employment, Full-Time, 12 Months, Salary, Exempt position, 40 Hours/Week, Monday-Friday 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM.
Work Conditions & Requirements
- Standard office hours 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, occasional evening and weekend hours may be required
- Ability to lift, carry, push and pull a minimum of 5 pounds.
- Minimal off-campus travel may be required
- Work is performed normally inside under normal office conditions.
- Work is accomplished under minimum supervision and requires incumbent to exercise independence and discretion
- Physical Requirements – Manual dexterity to efficiently operate a computer keyboard and other business office machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made upon request regarding the work environment and physical demands to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Interested candidates should submit an Application for Employment and send a resume and cover letter to Burcu DeMarco at firstname.lastname@example.org