Graduate Assistant – Retention
This position provides assistance to connect resources to students to assist in their successful transition to Thomas University and to achieve their goal of program completion. This individual will work directly with students from first semester registration throughout their program by providing support, suggestions, direction and assistance in resolving issues which may prevent students from completing their education. The Retention Assistant is expected to work 20 hours per week with schedule to be determined by the Director of Student Success. Student is compensated for 6 credit hours per semester through tuition remission.
- Applicants must be accepted and in good standing as a student in a graduate program at Thomas University.
- Completion of 1 semester of graduate courses.
- GPA 3.0 at Thomas University.
- One academic letter of reference.
- Must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 graduate hours while working as a Graduate Assistance.
- Approval of Division Chair.
- Establish and maintain a relationship with assigned students.
- Assist in providing information and programming to new and returning students.
- Conduct personalized meetings with students to help make appropriate referrals to University resources.
- Support in leading focus groups for student populations.
- Assist in developing processes to better serve the student needs.
- Document activity appropriately in University systems.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Effective communication skills
- Effective organizational skills
- Ability to show empathy and work effectively with students in crisis situations
- Ability to perform in a professional manner with faculty, staff, students, and parents
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team
- Ability to develop and work with Progression Sheet
- Microsoft Word programs proficiency and ability to learn new computer skills
- Adherence to professional ethics including confidentiality
Complete an Employment Application and send resume and cover letter to