Request for Disability Support Services
PROCEDURES FOR REQUESTING SERVICES AND ACCOMMODATIONS
Congratulations on your acceptance to Thomas University! We hope that you will find your experience here to be exciting, challenging, and rewarding. Thomas University complies with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act, both of which ensure that no student is denied benefits, excluded from participation, or otherwise subjected to discrimination because of a disability. Students who have documented disabilities have the legal responsibility to request reasonable accommodations in a timely manner and to provide the institution with appropriate documentation of any disabling conditions. Sufficient advance notice of a request for an accommodation is required in order to give the various offices involved in making the accommodation a reasonable period of time to evaluate the request. It is important to note that self-disclosure of a disability is strictly voluntary.
Students who are interested in receiving accommodations based on their disabilities should complete the steps listed below in advance of the anticipated need for services and accommodations and complete the attached form. This form and documentation of the disability must be received no later than TWO WEEKS prior to the start of the semester in which the student intends to attend classes for accommodations to be made in a timely manner.
- Students must be officially admitted to Thomas University.
- Students requesting accommodations should complete the attached Voluntary Disclosure of Disability Form and register with the office of Student Disability Support Services. Current, written documentation from appropriate professional personnel is required and documentation is subject to verification by Thomas University.
- Approval of reasonable accommodations will be made on a case-by-case based on the justification contained in the written documentation provided by the student.
- Policies and procedures for students with disabilities are available in the Office of Student Support Services or online at www.thomasu.edu/sss.htm under Disability Support Services.
- NOTE: Thomas University offers the following reasonable accommodations:
- Extended time for Testing
- Adaptive Technology
- Accessible facilities
- Class materials in alternative format (Deadlines required in order to receive materials prior to the start of class.)
If you have any questions, please contact the Director of Student Disability Support Services at 229-226-1621 ext 1149. We look forward to assisting in the pursuit of your goals at Thomas University.
Voluntary Disclosure of Disability Student Data Form
Thomas University is committed to providing quality education to all its students. If you have special needs that are the result of a disability and need reasonable accommodations that will help you be more self-sufficient and successful, please complete this form and return it to: Director of Student Disability Support Services
1501 Millpond Road, Thomasville, Georgia 31792
This disclosure is voluntary. Once the Director of Student Disability Support Services has received this form, you will receive additional information about how to provide documentation and to request accommodations. The information on this form will be kept confidential and will be released only to those individuals responsible for providing assistance to students with disabilities. This form and documentation of disabilities must be received no later than TWO WEEKS prior to the start of the semester you intend to attend classes in order for accommodations to be made in a timely manner.