Graduation Application and Process
Thomas University awards the associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s, and specialist degrees. Degrees will be conferred in the summer, fall and spring, upon the recommendation of the faculty, to students who have successfully completed all course requirements. The Commencement ceremony for all students graduating in summer, fall, and spring of an academic year is conducted at the end of the spring semester. All students are required to participate in graduation ceremonies. Exemptions are permitted by the Provost only under exceptional circumstances.
To be eligible to be recommended for graduation, all undergraduate students must have a minimum GPA of 2.0 and all graduate students must have a minimum GPA of 3.0. At least 25% of all hours earned toward any degree must have been earned at Thomas University. Students completing the bachelor’s degree must earn 24 of the last 30 hours of upper-division coursework at Thomas University.
Students who are awarded a bachelor’s degree may earn the distinction of graduating summa cum laude (4.0 CGPA), magna cum laude (3.75-3.99 CGPA), or cum laude (3.5-3.74 CGPA). Associate’s degree honor graduates are those students who graduate with a cumulative grade point average of 3.50 or higher. GPAs for graduation honors are calculated using all hours attempted at all institutions attended through the end of the Fall semester preceding graduation. Honors will not be re-calculated after all grades are posted.
Students who expect to graduate must...
- Complete the Application for Graduation by the stated deadlines the semester BEFORE they intend to graduate. The deadlines for turning in this form to the Registrar’s Office are October 1 (spring semester graduation), December 1 (summer semester) or March 1 (fall semester). Students who graduate in the fall are eligible to participate in the commencement ceremony the following spring.
- Pay graduation fees — ALL students pay a graduation fee of $175.
Note: Graduation fees cover all expenses associated with graduation, including your diploma.
- Clear all accounts in the Business Office.
- Complete an exit graduate survey.
- Degrees will not be conferred until ALL requirements have been met.
Complete the application and submit to your advisor for review and signature. Undergraduate students please submit a copy of your progression sheet along with the Application for Graduation. You may submit the application to the Registrar's office by mail, email, fax, or in person.
(You will need version 5.0 or higher of the free Adobe Acrobat Reader to access the Application for Graduation.)