Information for TCC Advisors
Thank you for being part of the TCC/TU team in helping students to pursue a Bachelor of Social Work Degree! The program with Thomas University is much like any 2+2 undergraduate program except for a few things:
- Classes will be taught online and on-campus at Tallahassee Community College.
- Students must enter the program (or obtain while they are in the program) 66 credits from Tallahassee Community College.
Please explain the 66 credit requirement?
Students are required to come into the social work program with an AA degree from Tallahassee Community College plus 6 extra credits (2 additional classes) which will transfer to their Thomas University degree as 6 credits of electives.
How will a student pay for the additional six credits of TCC work?
Thomas University will credit back to students who are accepted into the BSW Program, the funds needed by the students to obtain the six extra credits at TCC.
What is the best process for advising a student regarding the BSW program?
- Review the Thomas University Social Work Website and discuss with the student as to whether the social work is a good “fit” for their skills and career interests. Especially review:
a. The “Great Questions to Ask About Social Work” All of the information that applies to students on the Thomas University Campus, also applies to students at our TCC off-site. Make sure this is a good “fit” for the student's academic skills and interests.
b. Read about “Facts and Information About Social Work” to get a sense of services social workers provide. Make sure this is a good “fit” for the student's work skills and interests..
c. Read About “What Can I Do With A Social Work Degree” and review with the student all of the kinds of jobs that social workers are involved in. Make sure you feel like this is a good “fit” for the student's employment interests.
2. Review the student’s TCC transcript to make sure they are on track for their AA. Student’s are required to have a 2.5 GPA to apply to the program or else they need the special permission of the Division Chair. Review the student’s current and anticipated GPA upon completion of their AA.
3. Plan for when students might be able to complete the additional six credits required for the program. Only certain courses have been approved to be used as the elective credits to be brought into the program. These courses include: CHD 2220 Child Development; CHD 2240 Adolescent Development; CLP 2140 Abnormal Psychology; SOP 2002 Social Psychology; SOP 2740 Psychology of Women; SYG 2010 Contemporary Social Problems; SYG 2230 Race and Ethnic Relations; SYG 2340 Human Sexuality; SYG 2361 Thanatology: Dying and Death; SYG 2430 Marriage and Family .
4. Talk about money. Explain the class reimbursement policy: Note to the student that after they are accepted into the program, the costs for the extra six credits at TCC can be applied as a credit toward their costs toward their BSW at Thomas University. Explain that after they enter the program, they will then be soley dealing with Thomas University regarding their tuition, fees, etc. For more information, please contact the Financial Aid office at 1-800-538-9784.
5. Call us! Have the student call us so we can assist them in making a formal application to the program. If it would be more convenient, you are more than welcome to call on their behalf. Call "1-800-538-9784" x 119 and speak with Kellie O’Dare or you can email her at firstname.lastname@example.org . As an advisor, you may have Ms. O’Dare’s cell phone number for any questions you need quickly answered or clarified. It has been forwarded to you in an email from Thomas University.