Social Work at TALLAHASSEE COMMUNITY COLLEGE
TU @ TCC = A Very Good Place to Be!
Thomas University’s Division of Social Work Has Opened A Off-Site Campus for their Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) Program at Tallahassee Community College!
What is the good news?
Tallahassee Community College (TCC) has expanded its University Center to include Thomas University (TU)!
Can you tell me a little about Thomas University?
Thomas University is a small, private university based in Thomasville, Georgia. It was established in 1950 and has a current student enrollment of around 1,000 students. Thomas University has a number of off-site campuses throughout Georgia and Florida (including Tallahassee) but this is their first program at TCC. Thomas University is a fully SACS Accredited University and has one of the highest graduation rates for schools its size in the country!
What programs are being offered?
Thomas University is establishing a off-site program for their Bachelor of Social Work or BSW degree at TCC. This is a 4 year undergraduate degree that is offered by Thomas University and is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.
What is a program in social work like?
The social work curriculum can be reviewed by viewing the “Typical Course Progression for a Social Work Major at Tallahassee Community College”
(*TCC students will only need to take 12 credits [no electives] during their senior year as they are required to bring in 66 credits to the program.)
Basically, you need 60 upper division credits on top of your AA for the BSW degree. These credits include classes in social work theory and practice, along with 12 credits (6 for each semester in your senior year), where you are at a field placement where you intern with a social worker at an agency. This gives you real life, practical experience while you are still in school. Students in the BSW program must be able to work two days or 14-16 hours a week during their senior year at their field placement in order to complete the program (400 hours total for the year).
Does my A.A. degree from TCC count toward my BSW?
Yes! Students who apply and are selected to enter the Thomas University Bachelor of Social Work (TU-BSW) program will be allowed to bring in their TCC AA degree to fulfill their lower division requirements for the TU-BSW. In addition, TCC students will be required to take 2 additional TCC courses that will be counted toward their elective credits. Your TCC advisor will coach you along this process.
Sounds great! How I find out more information about this?
- Review the information at the Thomas University Division of Social Work website at www.thomasu.edu/sw . Especially review:
- The “Great Questions to Ask About Social Work” All of the information that applies to students on the Thomas University Campus, also applies to students at our TCC off-site. Make sure this is a good “fit” for your academic skills and interests.
- Read about “Facts and Information About Social Work” to get a sense of services social workers provide. Make sure this is a good “fit” for your work skills.
- Read About “What Can I Do With A Social Work Degree” and you can see all of the kinds of jobs that social workers are involved in. Make sure you feel like this is a good “fit” your employment interests.
- Call us! We’d be happy to talk with you about your interest in our program. Call 1-800-538-9784 x 119 and speak with Kellie O’Dare or you can email her at email@example.com .
- Talk to your TCC Advisor and let them know of your interest. They can help you to review your transcript and prepare your coursework so that your transition to TU from TCC is as smooth as possible!