Field Instructors who work with student interns from the Division of Social Work play a key role in the final educational aspects for those who are soon to be working professionals. Our goal is to offer agency professionals ("field instructors") information that is readily accessible.
ACCEPTING STUDENT INTERNS AT YOUR AGENCY
The Division of Social Work currently collaborates with numerous agencies in South Georgia and in North Florida, from the public and private sectors, including state government, for profit, and non-profit social services agencies. The first step in joining the growing list of Thomas University Field Agencies is for all parties involved to better get to know one another.
After an agency and the university agree to work with student interns, the next step is to formalize the relationship with a "Memorandum of Understanding." MOU's better explain the roles of all parties, and serve as the basis on which the collaborative and supportive relationship between an agency and the university is developed. For one example of an MOU feel free to click here.
If you are an agency hoping to work with student interns from the Division of Social Work, please contact the field office for more information:
- Susan Fowler, Field Coordinator (229-226-1621 ext. 1125)
STUDENT VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCES
Volunteerism is a tenet of the social work profession! All social work students are encouraged to participate in a volunteer experience, arranged through the field office at the division of social work. If you'd like more information about volunteering, please contact email@example.com and ask about how you can become a volunteer.
After students and agencies work together in the volunteer experience, feedback from both parties is important. This information helps the field office to link students and agencies who might partner with each other, not only in the volunteer experience, but also in the field. This short questionnaire will take less than two minutes to complete:
- Volunteer Experience Evaluation - All agencies and all students may use this form to evaluate the volunteer experience.
AGENCY OR STUDENT SITE VISIT REQUESTS
If you are currently a Thomas University Field Instructor and you need assistance now, please request a site visit online so that someone can follow-up with your request. Please take a moment to tell us more about a request for a site visit with you and your agency.:
GENERAL FIELD TIMELINES
FORMS FOR FIELD
- Field Application to Enter Field (for student interviews with Field Office - Junior Year)
- Field Applicant Contact Sheet (for student interviews with Field Office - Junior Year)
- Informed Consent (for student interviews with Field Office - Junior Year)
- Placement Agreement (student and agencies - first day of field - Senior Year)
- Contact Information Sheet (student & agency currently in Field - Senior Year)
- Weekly Logs & Journals (students currently in Field - Senior Year)
- Fall Learning Plan (first semester, week four)
- Spring Learning Plan (second semester, week four)
- NOTE: use of Social Work Skills and Application workbook is recommended with learning plans.
- NOTE: students should see the course website for a working form
- The Q & A's of Completing Mid Term and Final Field Evaluations
- Mid-Term & Final Evaluation (seniors and agencies in field; weeks 4 & 12 both semesters)
- Field Instructor Evaluation of Program (for agencies at end of internship; weeks 13-15 spring semester)
- Student Evaluation of Program (for seniors at end of internship; weeks 13-15 spring semester)
Thomas University Social Work Field Manual & Social Work Skills and Application Workbook
- 2011-2012 Field Manual (current year and working draft for the next fall)
- Social Work Skills and Application Workbook (CSWE Standards linked to Field tasks and Field goals; updated as needed with EPAS; a tool for learning plans, and other study guide helpers)
IVE Information and IVE Manuals (DFCS Child Welfare Grant Recipients)
- IVE Student Practicum Program Summary (July 2010, DFCS Training & Education Services)
- IVE Field Guide, Master Checklist & Connections (Author: DFCS Training & Education Services)
- IVE Making Connections Stages 1 - 3 Links (Author: DFCS Training & Education Services)
- IVE Student KEYS Manual Modules 1 thru 9 (Author: DFCS Training & Education Services; Updated 2/2011)