NSG 490 Special Topics in Nursing
Requirements for NSG 490 Experiential Learning Credit:
Upon acceptance to the Thomas University nursing programs, students who hold an active professional nursing certification sponsored by a National Organization may receive three (3) credit hours for NSG 490 Special Topics as part of their required RN-BSN curricular plan. Additionally, students who receive an initial certification while enrolled in the nursing program can also receive 3 credit hours.
Examples of approved organizations/certifications include, but are not limited to:
- American Nurses Credentialing Center
- Emergency Nurses Association
- Oncology Nursing Certification Organization
- American Board of Perianesthesia
- Nephrology Certification Commission
Examples of organizations that would not meet this requirement include CPR, ACLS, TNCC, PALS, NALS and other similar certifications.
To receive credit for NSG 490 complete the following:
- Have certification approved by the student’s nursing advisor and the Division Chair of Nursing.
- Submit a copy of the certification to the student’s advisor along with a letter requesting the credit.
- Attach a copy of the official certification requirements.
- All of these documents will be filed in the student’s academic file.
- The certification must be current at the time credit is requested in order to receive experiential learning credit.
- Only one national certification is eligible for experiential learning credit.