Frequently Asked Questions
1. What certification programs do you offer in Education?
Programs leading to certification are: Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Education, Middle Grades Education, and Secondary Education. The Post Baccalaureate certificate programs in Middle Grades Education and Secondary Education are for non-degree seeking students who already hold a BS, BA, or a MS in another field and are seeking teacher certification.
2. Can I get my Master's in Education at TU?
Yes, A Master's of Education is available at Thomas University. You may read more about our Master's of Education on our website.
3. Can I earn my education degree on line?
The education classes in our programs of study are primarily conducted face-to-face, although many of our classes are hybrid and a few are online.
4. I will be transferring from another University, how can I tell which of my classes will transfer?
You may set up an appointment to meet with a faculty coordinator, and they will be able to assist you in evaluating your transcripts to determine what classes will transfer into one of our education programs. Call our office at (229-226-1621 ext. 215)
5. I already have a Bachelor’s degree, so what will I need to do to get my certification?
The Post Baccalaureate Certification Program is designed for the teacher candidate who already has a Bachelor’s degree in another field and wants to become a certified teacher. The teacher candidate may choose between the Post Baccalaureate, Middle Grades Education Program and the Post Baccalaureate Secondary Education Program in Mathematics Education or English Education.
6. Are your Teacher Certification programs accredited?
Yes, all certification programs are accredited by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission.
7. How do I enroll into a Teacher Certification Program?
All students are required to fill out the online application and have an interview before being accepted into one of our programs. Transfer students must first apply and be accepted to Thomas University through the Admissions office. Details about the admissions process is described under each program.
8. Will I be able to get certified in another state if I get my teaching degree at Thomas University?
A student who successfully completes a Thomas University teacher certification program is eligible for certification in Georgia. Georgia has a reciprocal agreement with many states. It is best to check with the state where you plan to teach and be familiar with their specific requirements for teacher certification before beginning any teacher certification program.
9. What are the interview dates for entry into the Teacher Education Programs?
The dates are posted on the right hand side of the Division of Education Home page.