Process for Conferring Degrees
- Dr. Landis will say, "Will the candidates please rise?" – all graduates stand.
- Dr. Bonvillian will authorize awarding your diplomas.
- Dr. Landis will ask all but the first row to be seated.
- The first row will come forward, filing out to the left as you face the stage.
- Subsequent rows will be directed to stand and move forward by Student Marshall.
- Graduates will be directed by Jennifer Lindquist as to when to go on stage.
- At the top of the stairs, you will hand your card to Dr. Landis.
- When she calls your name, you will walk at a moderate speed across the stage and receive your diploma with your left hand and shake hands with Dr. Bonvillian and the Chairman of the Board of Trustees.
- While you’re shaking hands, a photographer will take your picture.
- Go down the steps where another photographer will take your picture again.
- A representative from Alumni Affairs, will hand you a TU pin as a gift from the Alumni Association.
- Return to your seat and be seated.
- Graduate students will be asked to stand.
- Give Dr. Landis your name card when your name is called.
- With your hood folded over your left arm, walk to the mark on the stage.
- Hand your hood to your division chair, face audience, bend your knees if necessary, and your professor will place the hood over your head and straighten it.
- Turn and walk to the President and the Chairman for your diploma.
- Follow the remaining steps above in Section 7.
- When all graduates have received their diplomas, all will be asked to stand and your degrees will be conferred by the President.
- Undergraduates, move the tassel on your cap to the left side.
- Follow the Student Marshal's directions as she guides you out row by row.
- Follow the graduate before you all the way down the stairs so that all graduates can exit the auditorium.
- Cap & gown should be free of wrinkles (follow instructions provided with gowns)
- Wear dark dress shoes and dark dress slacks.
- Dark attire looks best under the thin fabric of these gowns.
- Low heels are strongly encouraged.
- No flip flops, casual sandals, or slides.
- Cap must be worn flat on the head.
- Leave purses in the trunk of your car for security.
- No chewing gum.
- Turn off all cell phones.
- Be courteous if taking personal photographs.
- Men should remove caps during invocation and benediction.
- All guests regardless of age (even babies) must have a ticket; you are encouraged to leave younger children at home where they can celebrate with you later.
- Be respectful of your classmates in your and your guests’ congratulations during the ceremony so that all graduates’ names can be heard.
- Please pass the programs that are provided down the row you are sitting in.
Copyright © 2014 Thomas University | 1501 Millpond Road, Thomasville, Georgia 31792
Phone (800) 538-9784 | Fax (229) 227-6888