SSS Trio Scholarships
It has long been a core value at Thomas University to provide access to a diverse group of students from all backgrounds. To help in this endeavor, TRiO Student Support Services scholarships have become an integral part of the University’s retention efforts as these scholarships enable many of our students to remain in school until a postsecondary degree is completed. The minimum scholarship award is $1,000 for an academic year, and the number of scholarships awarded is determined annually based on federal funding. Applicants must meet all of the criteria listed below to be considered for an award:Be a recipient of a Pell grant
- Be a first or second year student
- Participate (online or in person) in one or more TRiO SSS financial literacy workshops annually
- Be an active TRiO SSS participant as evidenced by having a minimum of eight (8) hours of documented program services each semester of enrollment (Examples: meetings with Peer Assistants and the Success Coach; attending tutorials; participating in study groups; participating in OWL; etc.)
- Be exempt from remedial classes OR have only one remaining remedial class to completer
- Be making academic progress (cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better)
- Download the scholarship application form, complete the application, and return the completed application with the following documents attached:
- Student Financial Statement (obtain your statement from your financial aid ledger (Student Portal)
- Two Recommendation Forms (to be completed by two of your current professors; recommendation forms are included with the application)
- *Essay on Resiliency (see below)
- A Photograph
2. Each application will be reviewed by the TRiO SSS scholarship committee and recipients will be contacted via e-mail and/or telephone.
3. Scholarship recipients will have five business days to accept the award.
Participants who are applying for a TRiO Student Support Services scholarship must submit a detailed essay that addresses each of the following questions:
- Describe significant challenges you have faced that illustrates your resiliency.
- How do you deal with the challenges?
- What motivates you to persist toward your academic goals?
- It is a given that those applying for a TRiO SSS scholarship are applying for financial reasons. Why should you deserve this scholarship?