Core Professional Dispositions Assessment
- The teacher candidate demonstrates behaviors
that are consistent with the belief that all K-12 students can learn.
- Defines pedagogy drawing from theory, research,
and literature reviews.
- Discusses significance of pedagogy and its
impact on K-12 student learning.
- Provides an example of pedagogy and discusses
how this plan would impact Pk-12 student learning.
(for all programs, ECE example provided).
indicate extensive efforts are made to meet the cultural and linguistic
diversity of the students in the classroom through a variety of ways:
instructional content, strategies, and materials.
- TC plans routinely reflect sophisticated
adaptations for abilities (all levels) and needs (interests and motivation)
with a sound rationale. Adaptations are for students with identified
disabilities as well as others who have learning problems and/or who are
- Plans indicate that instructional strategies
are consistently congruent with objectives.
All strategies are developmentally appropriate and address a variety
of student needs. The sequence of the lesson is logical with no gaps in
progressions. Learning/practice activities allow students to start and end at
different levels based on individual readiness. Progressions are sequential and progressive
with opportunities for students to extend tasks to increase or decrease the
challenge. Students are grouped or
paired based on a specific instructional rationale.
- Objectives are appropriate for the subject
area/developmental level of learners, are explicitly connected to the
standards and provide appropriate challenges for students (tasks are neither
too difficult nor too easy). Objectives incorporate multiple domains of
learning or content areas. Objectives
- Assessment planning reflects sophisticated use
of assessments. On-going assessments as well as summative and formative
assessments are used in many contexts.
Record keeping provides detailed information on students and can be
transformed into a format that is accessible to others (e.g.
parents/administrators). Learning/practice opportunities are based on
pre-assessment and students’ developmental levels. Assessment (formal and
informal) is continuous. Adaptations
and modification of lesson can be directly linked to assessment.
- Uses a reflective cycle (description of
teaching, justification of teaching, performance, critique of teaching,
setting of goals) to modify instruction or implement change based on
reflection. Changes based on
reflection are placed into action in lessons.
Modifications made to lessons are based on the reflection and student
assessment. Reflection is translated into action.
Lesson Plan Assessment
- EQ directly relates to the GPS and provides a
clear focus for the lesson, fosters inquiry, understanding, and transfer of
learning. Requires more than a yes/no response.
- Includes several relevant standards from
across the curriculum.
- Summary in sufficient detail to guide
substitute to successful presentation of lesson.
- References provided: source, text, pages.
- Vocabulary words and relevant definitions
- Inclusive list of pertinent materials needed
- Use of technology is varied and
appropriate. Teachers and students
make use of technology.
- Provides details for management of resources,
including people, place, equipment, materials, and time.
- Provides clever, interesting, unique hook to gain students’ interest and attention.
- Link activates prior knowledge, and builds on prior learning or students’
- Steps and procedures are sequential, logical,
and sufficient to allow introduction, student participation, group practice,
higher level questioning, review, independent practice, and assessment
- Multiple strategies are provided to meet
diverse learning styles and abilities.
- Appropriate closure is provided.
- Clear succinct closure is provided by teacher
or students. Information is correct
and summarizes the lesson content or skill.
- Appropriate, interesting, non -traditional
assessment is provided. Opportunity
for students to demonstrate learning or mastery, student centered.
- Rubric provides ample, specific details for
demonstrating student learning
- Ample opportunities provided for meeting
diverse abilities, sensitivity to diverse nature of classroom apparent.
Student Teacher Work Sample
- Comprehensive description of the relevant
characteristics of the community and school.
- Comprehensive description of environmental and
physical demands that may affect learning.
- Comprehensive description of specific relevant
student characteristics is provided. Specific implications of these
characteristics for instruction and assessment are provided.
- Unit goal(s) is/are challenging,
appropriate and aligned with state
and/or national standards reflect all of the big ideas of the unit.
- All state standards and/or specific learning
objectives aligned with assessments
- Lessons show excellent rationale/relevance to the
- Procedures clearly written
- All needed materials listed
- Accommodations related closely to individual
- Assessments listed and attached
- Complete description of the use of technology present in at
least one lesson
- Reflections accurately use student assessment data
to summarize and analyze student performance.
suggest specific changes to increase student learning through accommodations/modifications/
- Specific analysis of overall student learning
of the entire unit which thoroughly references data to support conclusions.
- Specific description of which unit goal/
lesson objective students did best on and which was most difficult. In depth
explanation for causes. Reflect on causes if few gains were made.
- Detailed description of the most difficult
goal or objective for students with thoughtful analysis of why these results
occurred. Specific explanation of changes needed to ensure mastery by all
- Specific description of interventions
(accommodations/modifications/extensions) used from D.1 and complete
explanation of their effect on student learning.
- Detailed discussion of particular strong or
weak students and thoughtful reflection on how this will help inform future
- Complete lists of use of all types of
instructional technology by both teacher and students.
- Thoughtful reflection on benefits and/or
drawbacks of technology chosen.
- Demonstrates mastery of English language usage
and writing skills with no mechanical errors
PK-12 Alternative Assessment
is thorough, addressing:
- How research informed candidate decisions.
- Why this particular assessment method
(holistic or analytic) was used.
- Why candidate selected the two student samples
included (what made one sample excellent and one less than what you
Teacher Candidate Self-Assessment Survey
am able to relate to, plan for, and teach with consideration given to the
diversity of the students in the classroom, culturally and academically. I
relate to the school, family, and community contexts in connecting to
students’ prior experience to provide meaningful learning experiences and
help all students learn.
demonstrate the ability and willingness to reflect upon my practice and make
necessary adjustments to facilitate learning for all students.
Teacher Hire Survey
- New teachers from Thomas University are able
to relate to, plan for, and teach with consideration given to the diversity
of the students in the classroom, culturally and academically. TU teacher
candidates relate to the school, family, and community contexts in connecting
to students’ prior experience to provide meaningful learning experiences and
help all students learn.
- New teachers from Thomas University
demonstrate the ability and willingness to reflect upon their practice and
make necessary adjustments to facilitate learning for all students.
Mentor Teacher Survey of Teacher Candidate Performance
- Is able to relate to, plan for, and teach with
consideration given to the diversity of the students in the classroom,
culturally and academically. TU teacher candidates relate to the school,
family, and community contexts in connecting to students’ prior experience to
provide meaningful learning experiences and help all students learn.
- Demonstrates the ability and willingness to
reflect upon their practice and make necessary adjustments to facilitate
learning for all students.
Recent Graduate Self-Assessment Survey
me to relate to, plan for, and teach with consideration given to the
diversity of the students in the classroom, culturally and academically, and
prepared me to relate to the school, family, and community contexts in
connecting to students’ prior experience to provide meaningful learning
experiences and help all students learn.
me develop the desire and skills to reflect upon my practice and make
necessary adjustments to facilitate learning for all students.