Follow us on Facebook
Current Students
Prospective Students
Faculty & Staff


All NEW students must complete Direct Loan Entrance Counseling located at  


Before You Take a Student Loan


Federal Direct Annual Loan Limits by Grade Level


Grade Level


Subsidized Amount (Annual)

Unsubsidized Amount for Dependent Students (Annual)

Unsubsidized Amount

for Independent Students (Annual)

Freshmen(0-30 hours)




Sophomore(31-60 hours)




Junior(61-90 hours)




Senior(91 hours& up)









  • You MUST be enrolled at least half time (6 Hours) to be eligible for a Federal Direct Loan.  
  • The FAFSA is your application for Federal Direct Loans.
  • All students who plan to use a Federal Direct Loan must complete a Master Promissory Note for Direct Loans. To complete this MPN, go to You will need a Federal Student Aid ID (FSAID) in order to sign into the site. If you do not have an FSAID or do not remember your FSAID, please go to
  •  All NEW Students must complete Direct Loan Entrance Counseling. This can also be completed at


Know the Difference Between Federal and Private Student Loans


Federal Student Loans

These are the federal student loan programs funded by the government which are awarded to you when you fill out the FAFSA. These are generally your best education loan option.


Non-Federal Student Loans (Private loans)

These are other types of student loan programs funded by banks sometimes called ‘alternative loans’ because they are an alternative to the federal Student Loan programs. You have to apply and be approved for these loans directly with a bank or lender.


Learn About the Different Types of Federal Student Loans

Federal student loans are available to FAFSA eligible students to help cover the direct costs of tuition or the indirect costs of eligible living expenses included in the Cost of Attendance. Students must be currently enrolled at least half time and making Satisfactory Academic Progress to be eligible for any of the federal student loan programs. Both annual and aggregate borrowing limits apply.


Federal Direct Subsidized Stafford Loan

A moderately low interest, need based loan only available to eligible undergraduate and post baccalaureate students. The U.S. Department of Education pays the interest on this loan during in school deferment and during the grace period. Repayment begins six months after recipients are no longer enrolled at least half time. Maximum timeframe limit for the interest subsidy applies to all first time borrowers after July 1, 2013.


Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan

A moderately low interest loan available to eligible undergraduate, post baccalaureate and graduate students enrolled at least half time. Unlike the Subsidized Stafford loan, interest does accrue on this loan while the student attends school, during the grace period and while in repayment.


Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan PLUS Loan Basics for Parents

The Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) is a federal loan for parents to borrow on behalf of their dependent students. The parent PLUS loan has a fixed interest rate. For parents to be eligible to borrow this loan, students are required to complete a FAFSA and be enrolled at least halftime (6+ credit hours). Parents must be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen and pass a credit check.


Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan

The Graduate PLUS loan is a fixed interest rate federal loan for graduate and professional students in an eligible program. To be eligible for this loan, graduate students must be enrolled at least halftime, have submitted a FAFSA, be awarded Federal Stafford loans, be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen and pass a credit check.


Alternative Education Loan

Alternative education loans are private loans that are not associated with the Federal Government. Please check out the Alternative Education Loan Guide for more information and tool to help you research lenders.


Please Borrow Responsibly:


  • Debt/Salary Wizard - Use this tool to help you determine how much you should borrow based on your expected salary in the future. You can also determine what salary is needed based on your current student loan debt.Remember to be conservative and borrow only what you need. Also, be sure to keep track of how much you borrow each year. You can find your loan history online via the National Student Loan Data System.

  • Federal regulations require students to complete Direct Loan Exit Counseling upon leaving school. You can find the Exit Counseling link at You will need a Federal Student Aid ID for the log-in process. If you need to retrieve your FSAID or apply for one, go to If you have any questions or problems with completing exit counseling, you may contact:

Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships
Office: 229-584-2460
Fax: 229-584-2400

Education that Engages... Empowers... TRANSFORMS

nimblecmsan NTS product