Follow us on Facebook
Current Students
Prospective Students
Faculty & Staff
EmailEmail  PrintPrint  a a a


Withdrawing or not completing courses in a term

Withdrawing from school can impact your student financial aid for both the term you withdraw and also future terms. Student financial aid is “earned” for each day that participate (eg: attending class or post in an online course discussion), thus if you were not able to attend many sessions of your class or do not have documentation of participation then you may be required to pay back some or all of the aid you received.

There are two types of withdrawals:

  • Official – all courses were dropped or withdrawn through the Office of Admissions, Registration and Records.
  • Unofficial – courses were not dropped and all grades on your transcript for the term do not indicate participation (eg: “U" (no basis for grade), "M" (missing), "F" (fail), and/or "W" (withdrawal) 
    for more information about each type of withdrawal, please see below. Note that for both types of withdrawal, only federal funds are impacted, so state or scholarship funds will not be reduced/reversed as part of this process.


Other impacts of withdrawing:

  • Could begin your grace period for federal Stafford loans, or repayment if you have already exhausted your grace period. Find more information at Stafford Loan Repayment.

  • Withdrawing impacts your Satisfactory Academic Progress and could make you ineligible to receive aid in future terms. Find more information at our Satisfactory Academic Progress page.

  • Could change your academic standing or other academic attributes (such as GPA) with the Office of Admissions, Registration and Records, or with your department. If possible, please speak with your academic advisor prior to withdrawing to determine the full consequences on your studies.


Official Withdrawals:
When a student withdraws prior to completing 60 percent of the term they have not "earned" all of their federal financial aid and a Return of Title IV Funds calculation must be performed. We are required to return the lesser of the unearned portion of federal aid, or of the total institutional charges (tuition and fees, housing charges, etc.) billed to the student.

The unearned portion of the aid is returned to the lender or aid program. For example, if a student completes only 30 percent of the term, then he or she has failed to earn 70 percent of the federal financial aid that was disbursed, or could have been disbursed, prior to the withdrawal.

If the return of the funds creates a balance due on the student account, the student will be responsible to pay the balance on their account. 

Unofficial Withdrawal (negative grades):
Students who receive all "X" (no basis for grade), "M" (missing), "F" (fail), and/or "W" (withdrawal) grades. Because these grades do not confirm attendance or participation, students are required to provide proof of their last date of attendance in at least one class for which they were registered. These students will be notified by mail and provided with a Proof of Attendance form that they must return to the Office of Student Financial Aid.  Proof of attendance will also be requested from the professors.  When the Office received notification from the professors, the last date of attendance will be posted on the student’s online account.

If no proof is provided by the deadline established by the Office of Student Financial Aid, Students will be billed for a portion of the financial aid that was received.

Education that Engages... Empowers... TRANSFORMS

nimblecmsan NTS product