Master of Science in Clinical Rehabilitation and Mental Health Counseling (online)
TU's CMHCRC Master’s program has been awarded accreditation to October 31, 2023!
OUR MISSION: The mission of Thomas University’s Council on Rehabilitation Education (CORE) accredited graduate program in Clinical Rehabilitation & Mental Health Counseling is to create a dynamic learning environmentthat advances the intellectual and personal development goals of our students to work as professionals in the field of rehabilitation and mental health counseling, and to train students to effectively advocate on behalf of the clients they serve. This includes preparing each student to pass the national Certified Rehabilitation Counselor (CRC) exam, as well as providing students with the academic requirements necessary to sit for the professional counselor credential in the state in which they reside. The Clinical Rehabilitation & Mental Health Counseling program accomplishes this mission through the following objectives:
- Faculty will provide rigorous and intellectually challenging studies that require creativity, discipline, and personal responsibility.
- Students will become competent in a variety of counseling focus areas including but not limited to, theoretical foundations and techniques, community services and resources, ethical practice, case management, group work, crisis counseling and diagnostic procedures and cultural awareness through 63-credit hours of coursework.
- Students will learn through classroom, practicum, internship, and community experienceshow to address the needs of persons with physical and mental disabilities and chronic illnesses in a manner that is consistent with the program’s mission of advocacy and awareness.
- The Division will provide students with the curriculum content that abides by the CORE requirements for CRC certification, and students are eligible to sit for the CRC exam as early as after successfully completing 75% of the Master’s program. This exam is administered by the Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification.
- Graduates of the Clinical Rehabilitation and Mental Health Counseling graduate program will also meet state licensure requirements upon graduation and may sit for the professional counselor credential in their state. Students need to make sure that state requirements for licensure in the state in which they reside are completed prior to graduation
- For students who previously graduated from a 48 credit hour program and are looking for additional coursework to apply for CRC certification, Thomas University offers a Bridge Program that can help non-degree seeking students complete the academic requirements for certification and licensure. (See video on Bridge Program)
Thomas University’s 60-credit hour program features the following:
- A completely online format with a practicum and Internship requirement that can be completed in the student’s current geographical location.
- Admissions during the Fall, Spring and Summer semesters.
- No Georgia residency requirements.
- One-on-one interaction with an assigned academic advisor who helps design and guide the student’s progress throughout the program.
- Interactive experiences and clinical supervision consistent with accreditation requirements.
- Opportunities for graduate assistantships.
- Attentive and cooperative faculty who incorporate real world experiences into the classroom learning environment.
- Participation in an active and community oriented counseling honor society, Chi Sigma Iota.
CACREP is a recognized accrediting agency by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and holds full membership status with the Association of Specialized and Professional Accreditors (ASPA) and the International Network of Quality Assurance Agencies in Higher Education (INQAAHE).
Thomas University has been approved by the State of Georgia to participate in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements. NC-SARA is a voluntary, regional approach to state oversight of postsecondary distance education. http://www.nc-sara.org/states/GA