Admission to the Master of Education
Certified teachers should complete all sections of the Graduate Admission’s Application and submit it to the Admission’s Office at least 6 weeks prior to the beginning of the term you plan to enter. A copy of the application can be found online at http://thomasu.edu/appgr.html.
Applicants for the Master of Education program must meet the following criteria
- Hold a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field from a regionally accredited college or university.
- Hold a clear and renewable teaching certificate in at least one teaching field, or hold a non-renewable certificate and be enrolled in a state approved alternative certification program.
- Have passing scores on GACE Basic Skills and Content Exams, or their equivalents.
- Candidates for graduate admission must report a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale or higher. Applicants with a GPA lower than 3.0 may be considered for conditional admission. Any student conditionally admitted must take the 1-credit Scholarly Writing course during the semester before taking any Master’s level courses.
- International students seeking admission must submit a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) minimum score of 500 (paper-based) or 173 (computer-based), or 61(internet-based) OR China (CET) Foreign Language Exam for English minimum undergraduate of Level 4, graduate of Level 6, OR International English Language
Testing System (IELTS) minimum 5.0.
Along with proof of the above criteria, teachers are required to submit the following along with their application for Graduate Admissions:
- A personal statement of career and educational objectives (minimum two pages).
- Official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate schools.
- Three personal references for evaluation. If you are working, one reference must be from a supervisor who is familiar with your work.
- A $50 non-refundable application fee made payable to Thomas University.
Thomas University offers scholarships, fellowships, and assistantships that will dramatically reduce the final cost of tuition.
For more information, email TU Admissions or call 229-227-6925.
Thomas University Students
The teacher candidate applying for admissions to the Early Childhood Education program must complete a Division of Education Application, complete all additional requirements outlined on the Admission Requirements Checklist, including signing up for an admissions interview. Interview dates are posted each semester on the Division of Education website. The Admission/Advising Committee interviews the teacher candidate to ensure that the candidate meets all admissions requirements.
Please refer to the Thomas University Admissions Web Page for admission requirements and application to Thomas University. After you have been accepted to Thomas University, follow the above instructions for application to the Division of Education.