Veterans Education at Thomas University
Thomas University supports our Nation’s Veterans and is a proud participant in the Yellow Ribbon Program and Student Veterans of America. Our portable degree options and on ground course availability allow you to maximize your BasicAllowance for Housing benefit under the Post 9/11 GI Bill.
Thomas University also offers a variety of services to active and separated military through our Veterans' Success and Transition Services Center.
Depending on when you separated from the service, there are numerous Veteran’s education benefits you may be eligible for. In addition to the explanation of benefits below, we recommend you visit https://www.vets.gov/gi-bill-comparison-tool and https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/learn/education for the most current GI Bill information and options.
GI Bill Options
- (Ch. 30) Post 9/11 GI Bill
For service members with at least 90 days of combined active duty service after Sept. 10, 2001, honorably discharged or still on active duty. The Post 9/11 GI Bill also pays a monthly Basic Allowance for Housing for eligible programs, tuition is paid directly to the institution and is transferrable to the service members dependent
- (Ch. 33) Montgomery GI Bill
For service members with at least two years of active duty. Chapter 33 requires the service member to contribute $1,200 towards the benefit, the monthly benefit is paid directly to the service member
- (Ch. 32) Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP) available to service members who elected to make contributions from your military pay to participate in this education benefit program. The government matches your contributions on a 2-for-1 basis.
- (Ch. 35) Dependents Educational Assistance Program (DEA) program offers education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of Veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition or of Veterans who died while on active duty or as a result of a service-related condition.
- (Ch. 1606) Montgomery GI Selected Reserve provides education and training benefits to eligible members of the Selected Reserve, including the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard. Eligibility for this program is determined by the Selected Reserve components and VA makes the payments.
- (Top Up) GI Bill benefits can be applied to cover the remaining tuition balance when tuition exceeds the amount payable by the Department of Defense Tuition Assistance.
Accelerate your degree: CREDIT BY EXAMINATION
To reduce the length of time and cost to complete a program of study, students may receive up to 30 combined hours of credit for approved courses towards a Bachelor’s degree or 15 hours towards an Associate of Arts degree through any of the following: CSC 120 Computer Applications Examination, institutional-departmental examinations, the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) subject examinations, the Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DSST/DANTES), or the Advanced Placement (AP) program. No grades are recorded for credit by examination.
Getting Started at Thomas University
- Apply for admission to Thomas University
- Submit your application for VA benefits http://vabenefits.vba.va.gov/vonapp/main.asp. For new users, select form VA 1990. If you have used your benefit at another institution, you will need to select form VA 1995.
For new users, select form VA 1990. If you have used your benefit at another institution, you will need to select form VA 1995
- Submit your Certificate of Eligibility to Thomas University
- Schedule a meeting with your advisor to select your courses
- Submit your transcripts for review
Thomas University will accept 64 credit hours of ACE approved military training. You can order your transcripts by accessing the following link https://jst.doded.mil/
Official Transcripts can be sent to:
1501 Millpond Drive
Thomasville, GA 31792
For questions and assistance please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call us toll free at 844-532-6978