NAVY Credentialing Opportunities On-Line (COOL)
In an effort to assist service members and civilian personnel with obtaining industry certifications and licensures relative to their Rating Code, the NAVY now offers a pathway to credentialing. For service members and civilian personnel working in specialized career fields, obtaining a professional certification assist with promotion and can open doors to immediate employment upon leaving the armed services.
Who is Eligible to use the COOL Program?
- Sailors and Marines
- Department of the Navy Civilian Personnel
Paying for Your Credential
There is a cost associated with obtaining a certification and/or licensure. In addition to the fees assessed by the respective credentialing body, exam preparation and training may be required. In some cases, fees and training cost can be covered by NAVY Tuition Assistance or the GI Bill
- Certification Preparation and Training: Please note, tuition assistance will not cover study materials, non-college degree programs, membership and application fees, CEUs, or recertification and exam fees. If the training is included in your degree program, tuition assistance will cover the cost. Depending on the certification training program, Sailors may be eligible to apply Tuition Assistance Clock-Hour Training funds to cover the cost. For additional information, please visit the following link http://www.cool.navy.mil/usn/costs_and_funding/index.htm
- NAVY COOL: The NAVY COOL program will cover the cost of membership, application, exam and recertification fees
- GI Bill: The GI Bill covers licensing and certification, as well as supplemental education and training. The GI Bill will reimburse $2000 per exam, CEUs and fees for retesting. For additional information on how to use your GI Bill to cover licensing and certification, please visit the following link http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/docs/pamphlets/lc_brochure.pdf
Department of NAVY Civilian Personnel (DONCIV): The Department of the NAVY has authorized civilian employees to participate in the COOL program. Funding is available for all preparation courses, exam fees, study materials, membership and application fees, and non-college degree training. All funding request must be Command-approved.
COOL Certifications Training Programs at Thomas University
Project Management Professional (PMP)
Lean Six Sigma (LSS)
Cyber/IT: All training programs listed below are aligned with the Department of Defense Directive 8140 (DoDD 8140 replaced 8570)
- CompTIA Network +
- CompTIA Security +
- CompTIA A +
- Certified Information System Security Professional (CISSP)
- Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH)