Policies and Governing Rights of Thomas University's Copyrighted Images, Trademarked and Registered Logos, Brand Name, and Social Media and Networking
Thomas University is a private not-for-profit university. As such we are not required to observe First Amendment rights on free speech. However, as an institution that values academic excellence and the spirit of free inquiry that supports this excellence, we support the right to free speech of all members of our community. Thomas University does not monitor its network or outside websites for content except where the use of Thomas University official logos and copyrighted images and graphics are concerned.
Many emblems identify Thomas University, including, but not limited to, its name, the University logo, and the University athletic team symbols. All Thomas University's symbols, brand name, graphics and logos are trademarks, wordmarks and/or service marks of the University, certain ones registered in the State, with the Federal registry, Customs and Internationally. The University therefore has certain legal rights regarding their use.
The name "Thomas University" is to appear on all official documents of the University. Those include stationery, envelopes, business cards, identification cards, business forms, legal contracts, and any other media used in an official university capacity. Abbreviations or contractions of the name such as TU or Thomas U are not acceptable substitutes for use on official documents, but may be used as appropriate on other documents, subject to the approval of the Director of Communication.
Approval for Use of University Name or Symbols
Where permission is necessary, the use of any registered University symbol or logo shall be by written agreement between the University and the user. Any individual, group, or organization desiring to use registered university symbols or logos, for commercial or non-commercial purposes, should contact the Director of Communication, who will determine the appropriateness of such use, and the execution of any necessary written agreement extending permission for use. All requests received by other university offices for permission to use the University's name, symbols or logos should be referred to the Director of Communication.
The following policy governs the use of copyrighted Thomas University logos, images, and graphics.
- Use of Thomas University’s name and trademarks by organizations that are not official University departments or recognized student organizations, will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
- Individuals and/or businesses may not use University trademarked and/or registered logos, images, and/or brand name on a website, social media platforms, publications or merchandise and apparel without written permission from the Director of Communication. If approved, the Director of Communication will provide a disclaimer that is to be used on the website and/or social media platform as well as any trademarked/copyrighted University graphic elements.
- Use of trademarked/copyrighted University graphic elements, including logos and seals, on unofficial and outside web sites is prohibited except when done in the development of University related functions where the use of such may be an appropriate feature, such as development of a class project. ONLY Official trademarked graphic elements may be used and will be provided by the Director of Communications upon the approval of a submitted request.
- Web sites, excluding course materials distributed by instructors, representing an individual or expressing personal opinions are the sole responsibility of the author and must include the following disclaimer:
"The views and opinions expressed in this site are strictly those of the site author and in no way represent those of Thomas University, or the Board of Trustees."
- Outside web pages must be approved and should exhibit the standard disclaimer of official status, the name and e-mail address of its creator (this information must be submitted to the Director of Communications for approval and monitoring).
- Copyrights of Thomas University include all text and photographs appearing on the www.thomasu.edu site or subsequent official Web sites, and include all works that are entitled to copyright protection under U.S. law. The site is considered an official publication and communication tool of Thomas University and contents may not be reproduced without written permission from the Director of Communication.
- Trademarks are any marks, symbols, logos, nicknames, letters, words, or derivatives that can be associated with the University, and can be distinguished from those of other institutions or entities. The University's identifying trademarks may not be used without permission of the University, except on Official Web sites.
- Members of the Thomas University community should be considerate of the expectations and sensitivities of others on the network when posting. Outside websites and social networking sites must reflect the university’s Diversity Statement and policies regarding harassment and nondiscrimination.
The Thomas University has developed Guidelines, Policies and Best Practices for the use of outside websites and social networking sites. Thomas University encourages all members of the university community to review these guidelines, policies and practices carefully before posting any personal information to the Web.